Open: every day 9-19
Booking and pre-purchased ticket required: +39 049/2010020 or : www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it
piazza Eremitani 8
The most important monument in the nomination is Giotto’s masterpiece, which is also his best-preserved fresco cycle. Scenes from the Life of Christ and the Virgin, together with allegories and biblical prophets, are here depicted within geometrical frames beneath the starry blue sky of the vault, leading visitors to the majestic vision of the large Last Judgment painted on the counterfacade.
The nearby City Museum houses extraordinary examples of fourteenth-century Paduan painting: a Crucifix by Giotto, from the Scrovegni Chapel; detached frescoes by Pietro and Giuliano da Rimini: panels by Guariento from the chapel of the Carraresi Palace and a detached fresco of the Madonna of Humility by Cennino Cennini. The collection brings together precious works that link up with the fresco cycles to be found throughout the city.
Free Admission, from Piazza Eremitani
Open: mon.-fri. 7.30-12.30/ 15.30-19.30, sat. , sun. 9-12.30/ 16-19 (tourist visits not allowed during religious services)
The presbytery and apse of the Church of the Eremitani contain a fresco cycle by Guariento, commissioned between 1361 and 1365. The paintings recount stories from the lives of Saints Philip, James and Augustine, and are complemented by monochrome works depicting The Planets and The Seven Ages of Man.
Although the church suffered serious damage during World War II, significant traces remain of other works by Guariento – in the Saint Anthony Chapel (1338) – and by Giusto de’ Menabuoi, in the Cortellieri Chapel (c.1370) and the Spisser Chapel (1373).
Entrance and Ticket Office on the ‘Scala delle Erbe’- Entrance for Disabled Persons Via VIII Febbraio
Open: from Tuesdat to Sunday, 9-19
Piazza delle Erbe
The great hall is famous for its architecture, with a distinctive roof reminiscent of the inverted hull of a ship; it is said to be the broadest hall in Europe with a ceiling unsupported by columns. The interior also contains important examples of fourteenth-century mural paintings.
The works one can see today depict complex astrological subjects inspired by the theme of divine and earthly justice (which was administered here); these reflect the composition of Giotto’s original fresco cycle, which was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1420.
Ticket Office inside the Baptistery, Tel. +39 049 656914
Open: every day 10-18
The finest masterpiece by Giusto de’ Menabuoi, court painter to the Carraresi family, is also an important example of a work commissioned by a female patron: Fina Buzzaccarini, wife of Francesco ‘Il Vecchio’, Lord of Padua. In a rather limited space, the artist depicted scenes and figures from the Old and New Testament, which culminate in the splendid figure of Christ in Paradise, at the centre of the dome.
Via Accademia, 7
The frescoes painted by Guariento in 1354 are a stunning reminder of how magnificent the Carraresi Palace must have been. The cycle is famous for its figures of angels (some now in the Eremitani City Museums); these were painted on panels or in fresco. The original arrangement of these figures remains a fascinating enigma for art historians and the public, given the complexity of their depiction.
Free Access- Open: 6.20 am – 6.45 pm (winter time) /6.20 am – 7.45 pm (summer time)
Piazza del Santo
A destination for millions of pilgrims each year and an international place of worship, the Basilica is also an essential monument in the history of architecture and art, and of fourteenth-century fresco painting in particular.
The interior of the Basilica contains frescoes by: Giotto, in the Chapel of Black Madonna, the Benediction Chapel and the Chapter House; Giusto de’ Menabuoi, in the Chapel of the Blessed Luca Belludi; Altichiero da Zevio and Jacopo Avanzi, in the Chapel of St. James.
Ticket office: piazza del Santo 11 – Tel. 049 8789722
Open: Tues – Sun 9 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 6 pm
Piazza del Santo
Built in 1377 as a family mausoleum, this was decorated with frescoes by Altichiero da Zevio (commissioned by marchese Raimondino Lupi di Soragna). The interior still houses intact frescoes covering the walls, with scenes from the Life of Christ and of Saint George as well as portraits of members of the aristocratic Lupi family.
Biglietteria presso Oratorio di San Michele, tel. +39 049 660836; Orario: da mart. a ven. 10 – 13; sab. dom. e festivi 15 – 18; dal 1/6 al 30/9 sab. dom. e festivi 16 – 19
Piazzetta San Michele
Built on the foundations of an earlier Longobard religious building, the Oratory was constructed by the important de Bovi family of Padua. The family had it decorated entirely with frescoes by Jacopo da Verona, who had previously worked under Altichiero da Zevio in the Oratory of St. George. Scenes from the Gospels are interspersed with episodes from daily life which include portraits of leading figures in fourteenth-century Padua.